søndag den 18. marts 2012

It's My Club And I'll Play What I Want To


So back in 2001 a friend of mine started a club in Copenhagen, called Punk-And-Billy Bash.
This turned out to be the best punk-rock/'billy club ever, with a history counting more than 100 different live acts, including bigger bands such as Volbeat, Godless Wicked Creeps, The Meteors, The Hunns and some of my personal favorites Groovie Ghoulies, Supersuckers, Cock Sparrer, Dead To Me, Perkele, Peawees and Peacocks. Check out the entire Billy Bash history right here

So in 2010 I was asked to join the Billy Bash crew - an invitation I very happily accepted.  For some reason, the club was hit by a very serious case of bad luck, the minute I joined. The first event I really helped putting together was actually canceled, even though we did everything in our hands to save the show (thanks a ton Nashville Pussies). So after a storm of cancellations we decided to put an indefinite end to the club, through a public statement

Meanwhile, we were contacted by a Copenhagen venue, called The Rock.They wanted us to start a new club, similar to Punk-And-Billy Bash.
So in April last year, club Born Bad was...well born, with Mad Sin headlining the bill.
In November, the Rock declared bankruptcy, which obviously caused a lot of chaos. Long story short, we decided to kick it nomad style, moving from venue to venue. This gives us the  opportunity to do smaller as well as bigger shows.
Born Bad DJ's - Copenhagen Snuff setting up
So far we've done 8 shows (should've been 10, but i've learned to live the fact that some people are just really unprofessional.. God I'm bitter), and I'd say we managed to get some pretty neat, mainly themed, line-ups through time.
#12: THE OLD FIRM CASUSALS (US)
#11: THE SLACKERS (US) + BY THE RIVERS (UK)
#10: FRANTIC FLINTSTONES (UK)
#9: ARGY BARGY (UK) + THE HITCHCOCKS (DK) + DEAD TO ME (US)
#8: DEMENTED ARE GO (US) + THE DEFECTORS (DK) + THEE GRAVEMEN (SE)
#7: PERKELE (SE) + ON THE JOB (S)+ OLD FASHIONED IDEAS (S) Canceled!!
#6: THE TURBO A.C.s (US) + THE PEAWEES (I) + 69-HARD (S)
#5: BOB WAYNE (US) + HANK ROBOT (DK) + J. TEX & THE VOLUNTEERS (DK)
#4: THE QUEERS (US) + ACCELERATORS (US) + THE 20BELOWS (DK) Canceled!!

 #3: REZUREX (US) + LAST SEEN LAUGHING (DK)
#2: STREET DOGS (US) + THE MAHONES (US) + ROVERS AHEAD (DK)
#1: MAD SIN (D) + JOHNNY NIGHTMARE (DK) + RACING DECAYS (DK)

My personal favorite being the February Street-punk special: Argy Bargy (uk), Hitchcocks (final show in cph.) (dk), Dead To Me (us).

Dead To Me @ Pumpehuset

On that note, obviously a line-up that different, draws a pretty mixed audience. Naive me, thinking people might discover a band or maybe an entire subgenre they don't know too much about, got a pretty bad scare, seeing some old skinheads making fun of Dead To Me during their show. I'm not saying you have to love every band you see live. But if you think a band is silly, at least keep it to yourself, or maybe your friends. No need to be that obvious about it. Especially not when the band performs so damn great. But I guess some people are afraid of catchy "pop"-punk bands, like some men are afraid of gays. Silly! Anyway, if I ever hear one of those idiots saying "punks and skins united", I'll kick their ignorant asses. Phew, sorry 'bout that.


Well, it's great fun getting to create line-ups, and supporting the scene, and I hope I get to do this for a long time.
Check us out on facebook http://www.facebook.com/BORNBADCPH

Stop by for my next post, where I'll show you some of my favorite albums, and music documentaries. Oh I have to tell you about the TwoPointEight show I went to, and the Heat Tape shows I saw. We'll get to that too.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar